Saturday, March 22, 2008

My last post on new orleans (for now)

I've posted on a couple famous and hidden eating places in new orleans over the past months. I've got a couple more places to highlight before I move onto other cities.

Cafe du Monde
There's not much to add to the cafe of the world save for the fact that they've got some kick-ass strong coffee, awesome beignets, and they're open late. Great for breakfast or late at night.

Pj's Coffee
Anybody who knows me well, knows that I go through at least a large cup of coffee a day. After a full day of visiting the Garden District, K an I hopped off the trolly and started to walk back towards Canal St. I was desperately seeking a boost of caffeine when we came across this little coffee shop. The coffee is great, but the chocolates are absolutely delicious. If they have 'em available, try the tiger butter. Creamy chocolate goodness that melts in your mouth. I'm not much of a sweets person, but I swear I must've heard angels sing when I put both of 'em together.

Cochon
This place is supposed to be one of the hottest restaurants to watch. To be honest, I wasn't terribly impressed. However, I've got to note that we went with 25 people. It must've been a nightmare to try to get all of our plates out in some kind of synchronous fashion. While some dishes fell flat, some of the other rib dishes were absolutely divine. (it better if their namesake is cochon).

PS. the website is cochonrestaurant not cochon (very different)

Snug Harbor
How can one go to New Orleans and not go listen to its jazz music. Frenchmen street is where all the local cool people go. It reminds me of a cross between U street, DuPont with a tinge of H st corridor (all in DC). Walk down the short street and you'll hear music wafting into the street. Snug Harbor is an New Orleans instituion with nightly shows.

Cafe Du Monde
1039 Decatur Street
New Orleans, LA 70116

PJ's Coffee
644 Camp Street
New Orleans, LA 70130

Cochon
930 Tcoupitoulas
New Orleans, LA 70130

Snug Harbor
626 Frenchmen Street
New Orleans, LA 70116

No comments: