Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Inside scoop on the Underground at Bonsoirée

Last weekend I finally got a chance to check out Bonsoirée. Located in Bucktown, its one of the best BYOB places I've been to (so far) in Chicago. Every Saturday, they hold an "underground" event--an invite only 5 course tasting menu (menu attached below).

I got there a bit earlier than my friends and decided to pick up a bottle of wine. The server quickly gave me directions to the nearest store with their recommendation. (tip: skip the 7-11 and go to the Food Smart). As Ask the server, they know what's in stock at the Bonsoiree what pairs with the dishes of the evening.

Shin, the chef, first amused us with foie gras with a blueberry sauce. It's a big deal for Chicago who recently made foie gras legal after a prohibition stint.

The chef had just returned from an "eating tour" in Japan so a lot of the meal was Asian-inspired. I loved the Fennel and Edamame salad--delicate and crunchy--great for a warm summer night.

The course climaxed with a a couple juicy Kobe Beef cubes that melted in my mouth.

Next time I go, I'm going to try to catch the early seating and sit in their back patio.

Tips:

  • The place only serves 20 or so seats, so make sure you make your reservation.
  • On Sundays, the five- and seven-course tasting menus are discounted.

Bonsoirée
2728 W Armitage Ave
Chicago, IL 60647
(773) 486-7511

No comments: