Sunday, June 8, 2008

Best Covers

If it ain't broke there's no need to fix it. While that may work for some people, I sit on the other end of the spectrum. Maybe its because this was the first year I closely followed American Idol and heard David Cook's many interpretations or because I've always been a huge fan of Ztrip's mashups.

Whatever the case, there is something about covers that I find intriguing, perhaps its the familiar that becomes transmuted into something new. Here are my most memorable covers [combination of faves and most intriguing]:

  1. I Want Those Flashing Lights - Colin Monroe [Kanye West Cover]
  2. Your Love - Midtown [Outfield Cover]
  3. Man in the Long Black Coat - Mark Lanegan [Bob Dylan Cover]
  4. When Doves Cry - Vitamin Jazz [Prince Cover]
  5. Just Like Heaven - The Watson Twins [Cure Cover]
  6. Straight Up - Halifax [Paula Abdul Cover]
  7. Toxic - Yael Naim [Britney Spears Cover]
  8. Digital Love - Alphabeat, FrankMusik and Leon Jean-Marie [Daft Punk Cover]
  9. Idioteque - Calico Horse [Radiohead Cover]
  10. No Diggity - Klaxxons [Backstreet Cover]
  11. Famous Blue Raincoat - Marissa Nadler [Leonard Cohen Cover]
  12. No One - Wakey!Wakey! [Alicia Keys Cover]
  13. Take On Me - Phonte [Ah Ha]
  14. Headmaster Ritual - Radiohead [Smiths Cover]
  15. Man On the Moon - Shout Out Louds [REM Cover]
There's a couple that almost made it on the list. I was going to put up Arctic Monkey's rendition of Diamonds are Forever, but I figured that Kanye was already represented and another nomination will probably go to Kaney's head. For a similar reason, I didn't include Brad Melhdau Trio's Jazz rendition of Wonderwall.

For the ones I coudln't find links for, I was able to find them in amazon:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Baby One More Time - Britney Spears [Travis]