Monday, April 28, 2008

Emerging Artists showcased in Chicago



I went back to Atropolis yesterday to get another high-impact dosage of art. Yesterday, I spent most of my time checking out NEXT, the emerging artist show.

One of the must-see's at the NEXT show is Jonathan Schipper's installation "The Slow Inevitable Death of American Muscle." Over the course of four days, two American muscle cars slowly collide into each other. K remarked that halfway through the day, there was a thunderous explosion as the glass from the cars shattered under the stress. It definitely drew in a ton of people. I love the use of red, white, and blue colors.


Rory Donaldson's Sqelemental also made a lasting impression. From afar, the piece a mod-like quality.


But I realized as I zoomed into the center of the picture, what it represented. Rory's piece seemed took a casual scene put through a space and time warp. Here's the closeup:


You've still got 2 hours left before it closes down for the year!

No comments: