Sunday, June 21, 2009

Twitter 101

I've been playing around with twitter the past couple months, but haven't been able to move beyond the inane, "I'm on a plane, stuck on the tarmac" tweets. While there has been an explosion of twitter accounts, few people truly generate content. However slow, I've been starting to explore more and more of what Twitter provides value for me:

  1. Easier for me to follow people (Maybe I'm more a taker than a giver)
  2. Twitter is my social networking gateway (I sms twitter which will automatically update my facebook and friendfeed accounts)
I've also noticed that while I "follow" 50 people, I truly only follow 15 people. Those 15 people tend to be people I've had personal connections with (@bryantng, @mcurren, @xenlogic). The other people I follow closely are CXO superstars like @padmasree and @stevecase.

For those of you who want to get in on the action too, but have been a bit too timid to test the waters, Infinite Thinking Machine cites a couple places to get you started:
  1. Twitter in Plain English - a great video that explains Twitter in a nutshell
  2. 7 Things You Should Know about Twitter -Educause publishes a series of excellent articles detailing new and emerging technologies.
  3. Tweetdeck -Use this third party app to manage Twitter. It's much better than using the Twitter web interface.
  4. TwitThis -Install this tool into your browser's toolbar so that you can share web sites on the fly as you surf.
  5. Hootsuite -This is a great tool for managing multiple Twitter accounts. Try this out once you've mastered Twitter basics.

1 comment:

David said...

I completely agree with you on this... I have tried to execute more meaningful content on twitter, but unfortunately I am either lacking in brain power, or a daily twitter routine that works...

That being said, I am exploring its uses as a marketing and lead generation tool... more on this once it happens!