Sunday, January 6, 2008

Korean is for design



In a recent FT article, Tatiana Boncompagni, predicts that Korean or Korean-Americans may be the future of fashion. In the recent Gen Art Fresh Faces catwalk, four of the eight designers were of Korean heritage. In fact, 29 percent of the student population enrolled in The New School for Design at Parsons are Korean. The article goes into profiling prominent and up-and-coming Korean fashion designers.

Why Korean, not other emerging arts countries like China? Well, according to Grace Sun:

I was born in Korea but I conduct business in China a lot and I’ve realised that Chinese culture is very much focused on food and culinary experiences. Koreans focus more on appearances and therefore fashion is a bigger part of the culture.
Yes, I do love my food.

No comments: