Wednesday, May 6, 2009

May Beats [2009 Playlist]

Well, I can't believe how fast its been, but I've just completed three months in California. Something about the sun or maybe the food, but my tastes but at my April 2009 list, I've realized that I'm become more mainstream. My eclectic tastes from the margin seem to becoming the main.

I rather be open and host then try to built "indie" cred. That is why I've included guilty pleasures like Lady Gaga (please don't gag, I am trying to be completely honest here).

So, with that disclaimer, I present you with my April list:

  1. MGMT - Kids Oracular: It's thick, its uplifting, its fun. I can't help but continue to bring MGMT back to my list.
  2. Lady Gaga - Just Dance (Trevor Simpson Radio Edit): I don't know why I like this song. But its uplifting and full of energy.
  3. A.R. Rahman - Paper Airplanes (DFA Remix): From the slumdog millionaire soundtrack. I started listening to MIA after her kick-ass performance at the grammys.
  4. *The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name (LA Riots Remix): More mindless club-type remixes. It has a tinge of Yelle and some Darude blended together.
  5. Company of Thieves - Pressure: Taking it down a couple notches, company of thieves is a Chi-town band. A little indie, a little alt rock makes a great song.
  6. Death Cab For Cutie - A Diamond and A Tether: We all know death cab for cutie... and I love 'em. 'Nuff said.
  7. *Elke - Blue Dream Lover (Christopher Robin Walkthrough): Thanks to the Internets, I'm discovering a ton of Australian bands. Electrorash has a couple of their remixes of their EP.
  8. INXS - Never Tear Us Apart: Can I call this a classic? I find this song most impactful when during my bart ride home with the sun setting as I zip through Oakland. Yeah, sometimes we all want to live a pop song life.
  9. Janelle MonĂ¡e - You Are My Everything: I found a copy of an unreleased version floating around the Internet. Very simple background, which accentuates her beautiful voice.
  10. Jeniferever - The Sound of Beating Wings: Nothing like a little atmospheric post-rock ambiance to round out the top ten list.
* Click for download

4 comments:

Jenny Kim said...

I'm lovin your May playlist, I would also recommend Passion Pit if you're a fan of MGMT, and the new Junior Boys album, which is more atmospheric and reflective than their past albums.

Mel said...

Thanks for turning me on to Company of Thieves. I know you said you checked out Working for A Nuclear Free City. Put them on the list next time. I love the Ting Tings. I had a dance party at my house last night with my sisters. Low Country Boil, lots of wine and The Ting Tings DJ remix the first track, that's not my name where the songs of choice!!! MGMT was another great band find recently. Listening to The Fray and realizing I just don't like this type of rock.

Mel said...

Just listened to Passion Pit and Junior Boys. I think Passion Pit sounds a lot like MGMT. I liked the album. I'm not 100% sure about Junior Boys. Some songs yes, so so so

Mel said...

Digging Jeniferever!!!